Thursday, December 22, 2011

Buying Happiness


Since becoming the sole money maker in my little family, one of the big adjustments I've had to make is in managing my want of material things. We're living alright, but I've got a ton of things to consider before I splurge on anything.

 It's been a journey for me to go against wanting things. I used to be a hardcore comic collector, I used to buy a lot toys, I looked for rare T-shirts, I try to find novelty items that are funny, I occasionally get new music gear. So going from that to how I live now is a pretty big adjustment.

 Throughout my journey of unlearning how to be a consumer, I've been more aware of the real price of what I'm buying. My want leads to someone else suffering. My desires leads to wastage and more trash. Heck, just me wanting to order something at the wrong time of the year makes other people miserable. Check this out.

 I'm still learning how to live without acting on every impulse I have to buy, buy and buy. The interesting thing for me is learning how little I need to get things I want done. I still love making music, but far from needing huge amount of gear to make music, I can make do with my laptop and my MIDI controller.

 The quality of the music is questionable though.

No comments:

Post a Comment